Summer is here! One of our favorite weekly dinners is a veggie burger, loaded with toppings, served with baked fries or roasted vegetables – the combo is just so good. These healthy black bean burgers from the PlantPure Nation Cookbook, by Kim Campbell, are quick to assemble, flavorful and hearty. They are filled with beans, whole grains, vegetables and seasonings.
See the recipe video here (makes 8 burgers): Easy Black Bean Burger video
Or, to use a food processor:
- Rinse the black beans in a colander and drain them very well. Place 1 cup of the black beans and the remaining ingredients into a food processor.
- Pulse for a second or two until just combined (do not over process, we don’t want a smooth mixture here).
- Then, place the burger mixture into a bowl and fold in the remaining whole black beans. Refrigerate the burger mixture for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Shape and form the burgers with your hands. Either bake them as directed in the recipe, or saute the patties in a small amount of olive oil.
If sauteing the burgers, cook for 3-5 minutes on each side and very carefully flip the burgers when they are golden brown and quite crisp on one side, like this:
Serve on whole grain buns with your favorite toppings, a side of fresh fruit and baked sweet potato fries.
I’d also like to try this Grillable Veggie Burger recipe from Minimalist Baker which features beans, brown rice, walnuts and spices. These burgers look amazing too.
- red onion
- spinach, baby kale or arugula
- a small dollop of either:
- “Special Sauce” (1/4 cup Vegenaise (mayo), 2 tablespoons of ketchup and 1 teaspoon of sweet pickle relish)
- or Sriracha mayo (1/4 cup Vegenaise (mayo) + 1/2 tablespoon Sriracha sauce)