Are you looking for a simple nutritious boost at breakfast, or another way to incorporate the abundance of zucchini from your summer garden? I think you’re going to love this recipe for Zucchini-Blueberry Waffles!
I started adding shredded zucchini to our pancake batter when my children were toddlers because I wanted another way to help them eat their greens. They didn’t notice a taste difference with the new green flecks, so I just kept making these with the squash. (In fact, one time I tried substituting shredded apples, and they didn’t care for it – they asked specifically for the zucchini instead!).
Try adding 1-2 cups of shredded zucchini to more of your favorite muffin and pancake recipes.
adapted from “Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes” in the PlantPure Nation Cookbook.
Makes about 8 waffles (each waffle on my iron is about 4-5 inches square)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Maple syrup
- Spray both sides of a waffle iron with non-stick oil and preheat.
- Combine the flours and baking powder together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add the milk, applesauce and vanilla and stir.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour and stir by hand to combine. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini and blueberries.
- Drop 1/2 – 3/4 cup of batter on to the waffle iron for each waffle. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the golden brown waffles and re-spray the waffle iron surfaces with the nonstick oil. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until all the waffles are cooked.
- Drizzle with maple syrup.
- Banana-Walnut: Substitute 1 cup chopped bananas for the blueberries and top with toasted walnuts.
- Lower-sugar version: Top waffles with unsweetened applesauce and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon instead of maple syrup.
- Pancakes: Drop 1/2 cup of the batter onto a griddle and flip when bubbles start to form and they are golden brown on one side.