I hope you are ready for some of the easiest recipes ever…
Avocado toast has become one of my favorite foods – for breakfast, lunch, snack or even a light dinner side. And apparently, I’m not alone – According to this article in Time Magazine, American’s are spending nearly $900,000 per month on this trendy treat! At first, my husband was skeptical that Avocado Toast was a real thing, but we just went to Las Vegas and Avocado Toast was selling for $12.95 on the menu!
The avocados are so good right now. I’ve been using the smaller, single serving avocados lately, and 1/2 of an avocado is the perfect amount for one piece of toast. Simply place avocado slices on whole grain toast and then carefully mash them with a fork.
Stick with me, you’re almost done!
Now here’s where the fun begins, because the possibilities for toppings are endless – just think of the avocado base as the “butter” for your toast, and then dress it up with your favorite flavors.
Here are five ideas for you.
1. White peach slices + blueberries + drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar:
To reduce balsamic vinegar, place 1 cup of balsamic vinegar (Or more. I usually reduce an entire bottle at a time) in a saucepan and simmer, uncovered, over low heat for about 10-15 minutes to thicken (It will thicken even more when it has cooled). Be sure to turn on your oven hood vent as the vinegar is quite pungent as it evaporates. Then, store it in a sealed Mason Jar in the pantry. It can also be used in salad dressings, marinades, and drizzled over vegetables such as green beans and Brussels sprouts.
2. Chickpeas + sprinkled with 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric: Tumeric has been getting quite a bit of attention lately for its potential health benefits and anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Mango + a couple pinches of chili powder + squeeze of fresh lime juice: I used frozen mango pieces here and let them thaw for about 15 minutes at room temperature. You can also use the defrost setting in the microwave for a few seconds.
4. Cucumber slices + cracked black pepper: So simple and refreshing. Try adding sprouts and slices of sweet tomatoes to this one.
5. Strawberries + drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar: It’s pretty hard to beat farmer’s market strawberries this time of year!
I hope you enjoy experimenting with avocado toast. Do you have any favorite flavors you’d like to share? I’m always looking for creative combinations.
Have a great day!